Tune in as VIN Foundation Executive Director Jordan Benshea chats with student debt educator Dr. Tony Bartels about the latest student loan tax forgiveness. Taking the “hope for the best and plan for the worst” approach, Dr. Bartels will take you through the details of this confusing situation. Did you know if you were making payments toward your student loans during the Cares Act forbearance time you can get a refund? Listen in to learn this and additional helpful information.
Tony Bartels, DVM, MBA
Tony Bartels graduated in 2012 from the Colorado State University combined MBA/DVM program and is an employee of the Veterinary Information Network (VIN). He and his wife, a small-animal internal medicine specialist practicing in Denver, have more than $400,000 in veterinary-school debt that they manage using federal income-driven repayment plans. By necessity (and now obsession), his professional activities include researching and speaking on veterinary-student debt, providing guidance to colleagues on loan-repayment strategies and contributing to VIN Foundation resources as a VIN Foundation board member. Beyond debt, his professional interests include small- and exotic-animal practice. When he’s not staring holes into his colleagues’ student-loan data, Tony enjoys fly fishing, ice hockey, camping and exploring Colorado with his wife, Audra, and their two rescued canines, Addi and Maggie.
LINKS AND INFORMATION:
- American Rescue Plan Act of 2021: https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/1319/text?format=txt
- Federal Student Aid: https://studentaid.gov
- Federal Student Aid COVID FAQ: https://studentaid.gov/announcements-events/coronavirus
- Sizing up the Student Loan Tax Forgiveness blog post: https://vinfoundation.org/sizing-up-student-loan-forgiveness-tax-exemption/
- VIN Foundation Student Debt Center: https://vinfoundation.org/studentdebtcenter
- VIN Foundation My Student Loans tool: http://www.vinfoundation.org/mystudentloans
- VIN Foundation WikiDebt: https://vinfoundation.org/wikidebt
- VIN Foundation Webinars: https://vinfoundation.org/resources/webinars/
- Stay up to date with VIN Foundation webinars: https://vinfoundation.org/updates/
Personalized Assistance available via the special VIN and VIN Foundation Student Debt Message Board areas:
Email VIN Foundation: email@example.com
You may learn more about the VIN Foundation, on the website, or join the conversation on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter. If you like this podcast, we would appreciate it if you follow and share. As always, we welcome feedback. If you have an idea for a podcast episode, we’d love to hear it!